USED CAR IMPORT REGULATIONS IN USA
STEERING HANDLE – Normally none (need to follow to the standards of NHTSA)
AGE RESTRICTION – Need to follow to the standards of NHTSA “vehicles that are at least 25 years old (based on the month and year of manufacture)”.
ROAD WORTHINESS INSPECTION – Need to follow to the standards of NHTSA
OTHER RESTRICTIONS – Specified models mainly of 1980’s, 90’s etc. Please refer to NHTSA website for more information about the models allowed.
The car must be clean so it doesn’t carry any dirt or mud.
Moisture level inside the car must be under the accepted amount.
IMPORT TAX RATES
– Trucks 2.5%
– Motorcycles either fee or 2.4%
– Federal Tax applied to some model
*This page contents are based on information acquired in July 2015.
- Any vehicle that has at least 15cm of height from the ground to the car’s body
- The hood must open
- The vehicle can be driven
- The tires can turn and run
- The handbrake must be working
- The vehicle does not need to be towed, lifted up or pulled out by any another vehicle
- If the engine is not working
- If the vehicle cannot be driven
- White or black smoke coming from engine, exhaust or any another place
- If Hybrid, batteries with defect, broken or damaged
No claim vehicles
- If there is not windscreen
- If any side or rear windows are not covered
- If rear trunk cannot be opened in case to use the spare tire
- Loose parts must be repaired, held or fix with a strong adhesive tape
- Any vehicle with inner cargo
- Any part(s) that can cause human accidents or damage another vehicle(s) or property on board
- Any vehicle which has mechanical problems
INNER CARGO IS NOT ALLOWED INSIDE OF THE VEHICLE